- The International Arthur Grumiaux Competition for Young Violinists is a competition open to violinists of any nationality organized by the non-profit organization “Best of Violin”. The 12th edition takes place from March 7 till March 10 2019 in Brussels (Belgium) at the Royal Conservatory of Brussels (KCB) : Place du Petit Sablon, 4 for the preliminary rounds, and Rue de la Régence, 30 for the final rounds.
- The competition runs in four categories:
Category A : for participants of 10 years old and less on 01/01/2019 (born in 2008 and later)
Category B : for participants of 13 years old and less on 01/01/2019 (born in 2005 and later)
Category C : for participants of 17 years old and less on 01/01/2019 (born in 2001 and later)
Category D : for participants of 21 years old and less on 01/01/2019 (born in 1997 and later)
- The candidate must register via the online form and attach his/her photo for the program. The registration deadline is November 18th 2018. He will also have to send a video recording of the pre-selection program: either by wetransfer, or a youtube or dailymotion link. Any incomplete form could result in the cancellation of the application.
- The maximum number of candidates is limited to around 70, all categories combined. A jury headed by President Mr Igor Tkatchouk will make a pre-selection based on the video recordings sent by the candidates. The registrants will be advised of the acceptance or otherwise on December 1, 2018. Upon being accepted, candidates must confirm definitively their participation in the competition before December 31, 2018.
- Participation fee (transfer and conversion fee are borne by the candidate) :
Category A & B : 70 €
Category C & D : 90 €
To be paid before November 18th 2018 on the following account : Best of Violin asbl - IBAN BE75 0004 1339 0051 with the mention « Concours Grumiaux 2019 » and lastname + firstname of the candidate. (Bank name : BPOST BANQUE, Bank BIC code : BPOTBEB1 or BPOTBEB1XXX, Bank address : Anspachlaan 1 - 1000 Bruxelles).
- The registration fee has to be paid before the preselection and can not be refunded.
- The competition proposes several experimented piano accompanists : conditions for accompaniment :
Participation fee: Cat A & B = 60 €; Cat C & D = 80 €.
Payment must be made upon confirmation of participation, i.e. on December 31st, 2018 the latest.
- The competition consists of a preliminary round and a final round in all categories. All rounds are open to the public for free.
- Pieces chosen by the candidate must be approved by the jury and be part of a published directory.
- No modification of the program is allowed after January 15th 2019.
- All pieces must be performed from memory (except the video preselection pieces).
- The jury is composed of internationally acknowledged musicians.
- The names of the finalists will be proclaimed after the end of performance of all candidates from the same category. All finalists receive a diploma.
- All results are likely to be published on the website or social networks.
- The winners must perform for free at the laureates’s concert.
- The Organization reserves the Radio and TV broadcasting rights of the competition without compensation to candidates.
- The Organization reserves the right to use photos and videos taken during the competition at the end of promoting its actual and future events, and publish them on its website or social networks.
- The Organization reserves the right to communicate information about the applicants to selected partner organizations (details on request).
- Travelling and accommodation expenses are borne to the candidate.
- The Organization reserves the right to amend the rules in the interest of the competition.
- The jury has exclusive jurisdiction to settle any disagreement. Its decisions are final and cannot be contested. It may possibly be decided not to award a prize in one or another category. In case of a tie, the chairman vote of the jury is decisive.